About Me

Starting A Business Made 50% Easier

Welcome to my blog! My name is Douglas Bernanke. I have always wanted to start a business and have had the finances and knowledge to do so. But something has always occurred in my life that has interfered, whether it be my sick mom or a brother who desperately needed help getting back on his feet. But I have kept the entrepreneurial flames burning and have continued to research and prepare for the day when I will finally take the plunge and start my business. If you are like me and want to be highly prepared and informed before jumping into the world of business, this is the blog for you!



Latest Posts

Starting A Business Made 50% Easier

Do You Need Insurance? Covering Yourself During A Move

by Courtney Kennedy

Moving can be very high risk. Not only are you moving all of your personal effects, but you also may be moving it on your own -- which means that you could end up involved in an accident. The best way to protect yourself is insurance, but there are a lot of different types of insurance you need to consider. 

Moving Truck Insurance

Moving truck companies will generally offer you insurance upon rental. Though this insurance is an additional expense, it can be a good idea to get it just as an extra precaution; it will add on additional coverage to any other coverage that you have. Moving truck insurance can cover your personal items and/or the truck itself, and many of these trucks can cost quite a lot. You'll need to check to make sure that your personal items are also covered, as many of these policies do primarily cover the truck.

Automobile Insurance

If you already have insurance through your own automobile coverage, you might find that you're actually already covered for moving. Check in with your insurance company to find out whether they would cover you for an accident in another vehicle. Again, this may not cover your personal effects, but just damage to any moving vehicles or other involved vehicles.

Individual Item Insurance

When you have very expensive items, such as items of jewelry or antiques, you may need to insure them separately. Most insurance companies have a cap on how much each individual item can be insured for. An antique worth $8,000 under a policy with a $5,000 cap will not be fully covered; you'll just get a $5,000 payout. Because of that, you need separate insurance for each of these items.

Renter's Insurance

A renter's insurance policy may actually cover the cost of a move, provided that there are no gaps in your renter's insurance between moves. Homeowner's insurance can operate similarly. The amount of insurance you have will depend on your policy, so you may want to check to make sure that you have enough coverage.

If you're going to be renting a moving truck, it's particularly important for you to purchase insurance. Anything can happen in a moving truck, and it may not necessarily be your fault. If you're struck by an uninsured motorist, for instance, you may still be found responsible for repairing the moving truck (and you may not be able to get any compensation for any of your damaged items). For more information about insurance, try this site.